Monday, October 19, 2015

Roller Coaster of Emotions

Orange, TX Oct 19, 2015

" Hey, so this is the first time I'm going to write every night and record all the important things that have happened on my ipad. The next couple weeks could be rough unti I get the format right. The scripture I chose to ponderize is Jacob 7:5. It basically says after all I've been through, he had no power to shake me from my faith." Good stuff. Now to the meat of my email.

So my p-day consisted of spending a lot more than I should have on food and I also thought about how it is a ripoff in these apartments because they make you pay for the washing machines and dryers. It is $1.25 for one or $2.50 for 2 and times that by the number of washing and drying is 6.25 per week-and that is not counting the soap you have to put in. Man that is messed up! Today we have zone P-day. Our whole zone met up and we played volleyball for awhile. Then after that the Evans had a family night where we could invite our investigators over to play games and sing songs. We also hear a short lesson and eat. It was way good! We built a Huge fire cause in Texas if you build a small fire, they will throw you in it to make it bigger! We cooked hot dogs and I ate 7 of them. A lot of people came and the Evans are having that every other Monday, so that should be way fun.

So if you haven't figured it out already, each paragraph is a new day . Today was hard cause my companion prayed for trials. This is now the 3rd time he's done that and all three days have been hard. We met a Wiccan. Basically they are witches. It wasn't my turn to contact, but long story short, I think she put a spell on my companion. I am writing this email and laughing because I am so dang funny while sitting in my comfy half broken chair sipping warm apple cider.

I like to start out each day with'so deal with it" We went to Orange County Services and helped people and got fat because they have all these cakes there and they are so tasty! I am eating like 5 pieces of cake and un loosing my belt. On a more spiritual note, we were trying to see this person, but she lived in a gated apartment. So, like any missionary would do, we climbed the fence. Just kidding! We waited till someone typed in the right code and drove right behind them and tried to visit a guy but he wasn't home. We were walking and saw a lady sitting in a chair on the top floor. So we taught her outside because her husband wasn't home and it was honestly 94 degrees outside and 98% humidity. As I was explaining the rest, sweat poured down on my face and by the end of the lesson she started to cry and tell us how our message makes so much sense. She thanked us and said that as we taught, she felt a feeling that she has never felt before and committed to baptism and her daughter did too. After we taught her, we were riding and the manager of the building came out and asked how we got in. We told her we went to see our new investigator (the person we just met) and she grunted and drove off. We contacted one more couple and taught them a lesson and the same thing happened and they committed to baptism. So Alma 26:12 : 'Yea I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things; yea behold many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever." 

So here in Texas is this claw truck that goes around and grabs peoples garbage. It is honestly the coolest thing cause it is like a life size claw game. We kept making toy story references like, 'the claw' and that was the highlight of the day.

So for some exciting things we saw: A six toed cat and some interesting people...lets leave it at that. The other elders got their 7th blown tire (biking area) in 1 month. A record. We visited Rochelle(person sitting in her chair a few paragraphs up). At first I was scared becuse she hadn't answered any of our texts, so I thought it was going to be like the average-I am not interested anymore. But when we came to her door she was happy. She said she told her husband what we taught her and he was excited cause she was excited. She said he had a lot of questions. She said she didn't text back because they were talking about the perfect day for us to come over and teach their whole family! Orange is super religious and I was wondering why it seems like every other person is a Preacher or a Deacon because we met another one today. I then remembered that there are 83 churches in Orange, so that pretty much means every other person you meet will be involved in a church position. Yay, it is so great :( 

We had interviews with the mission president, Elder Drake. He is one of the funniest guys I know. After that we taught a lesson and then went to a BBQ that one of the members hosted for us to invite our investigators. We had a lot show up and let me tell you Texas BBQ is waaaay good. We had another lesson after that and another member took us out to eat again and we had way good pumpkin pecan pancakes. I have probably gained another 10 lbs from today, or in other words I am biking a lot tomorrow.

We had scrimp n kern with Brother Daily and listened to old time country on the way down. Man nothing beats old time country. It's so chill and puts you in a good mood. Good ole Hank Williams. If you don't know who he is, look him up. He also gave us a big bottle of figs. We went to dinner at a members home and it was one of the best dinners I've had. Not because it was a super good meal, but because it was an emotional roller coaster. So we were eating and this family is super funny. We were joking around when suddenly Sister Bergeron stops and is staring at the wall right next to us. We look and on the wall is this huge, huge, huge cockroach! I mean this bug is massive. He is staring us down so Brother Bergeron gets up to kill it and when he gets close, the cockroach takes off and flys (apparently they can fly in Texas, who knew?) Anyway, he takes off and hits Elder Knebel right in the face. Then he flies at me and I freak out and drop to the floor as he flys right over me. Honestly, I was scared for my life. I thought it was the end. I ran to an open part of the house. While all of this is going on, Elder Knebel is screaming like a girl cause he just got slapped by a roach. I am in the corner of the house half crying and laughing. I don't know where the member family went. After all that chaos. we shared a message with them and they expressed some problems, so we gave them each a blessing. So that was the night I expressed all the emotions one can experience. 

For this weeks lesson on how to be a Texan: The new word is 'arrange' or as we yuppies call it 'Orange". My personal favorite, 'Man, theys got you in Arrange? Man, you's all over da place, man. I mean what da chances of Arrange? That's crazy yo." That was a quote. I'm not trying to make fun of people down here, they do enough of it by themselves. They are such sweet people. 
Love your homie,
Elder Saunders          glasses sent by Elder Saunders Dad for Halloween... Where is Elder Knebels glasses picture?
Who made this yummy toasted cheese? Elder Saunders or Elder Knebel?
a bit of rural Orange, Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment