Monday, February 15, 2016

Put your Shoulder to the Wheel, push along....

Monday, Feb 8, 2016

" So today we did shopping and whatever, then Elder Tukuafu gave me a sweet new haircut. Then we played chair soccer. We rushed to a dinner where they had Etouffee, which is funny because etouffee is a meal that every missionary wants to have but people rarely make it, so a lot of missionaries don't have it, but I have been blessed to have it four times. After that we rushed to Beaumont cause my companion has MLC tomorrow, so I went on exchanges. 

Today we did exchanges and it was a super slow day and no one was home, and we knocked on so many doors, and no one answered. We went to the Kolache  factory and it was so good. We taught some more people and then transferred back.

We had our tires changed today and it took two hours. It was a really slow day but at the end of the day we went and taught our Muslim friend. We gave him a Book of Mormon in Arabic. We taught him the restoration. We talked about the apostasy and he's like, "Well, what about Mohammed?" He also told us about how Muslims believe that Christ never died. They believe that God changed Judas to look like Jesus, so they crucified Judas and not Jesus. We managed to make it through. We are going back, so I guess we did something right. 

We had a pretty good day but imma skip ahead to the last person we taught. Her name is Joann. She has been taught by missionaries for 10 years, and we came in and she loves the missionaries. We were talking to her and found out that she has had the discussions many times. She asked us about the three kingdoms and about the apostasy and a whole bunch of other stuff. We answered all of it and she said that she feels bad cause all those other missionaries came by and told me to read. I never opened the book, but now I'm thinking that maybe if I did open that book ten years ago, I would have been a member for ten years before y'all came. So we got her to set a baptismal date and we created a plan to go see her. Now we hope that she will actually do it. 

After that we were invited to dinner by some members and it was fun. They invited over their friend. When we were leaving it was just the members and their friend. They said to him,"Hey, we are going to watch a movie. Wanna stay?" I wanted to tell him, "No, don't stay. Don't be the third wheel. Come tracking with us." But I didn't obey that bro code and he stayed. After that we went on exchanges and then we got a call from the Spanish elders late at night, so we drove down to the ghetto and rescued them.

So we started off our day by contacting a lot of people in our area book. It is hard because when the missionaries talk to a person, the person is interested and wants to learn more. Then the missionaries leave and that person is curious so they go on the internet or ask their pastor/priest. Then the missionaries come back and the person is immediately against them because they read or heard lies about the Mormon faith. So we honestly got yelled and bashed at, but hey, I haven't gone a day yet without that happening.

So I was driving down this road and there is this older couple going for a walk. I feel the impression to contact them but I feel really weird because I am in a car and not on my bike. I decide to drive past them. Well, right when I drive past the gas pedal suddenly stops working, so I'm freaking out and flooring it but it is not working. I stop the car and put it in park and then back to the drive position... Nothing. I turn it off, turn it back on....Nothing. So then the older couple comes over cause they saw we had a problem cause I am in the middle of the road. So they come over and we find out that the guy doesn't know a lot about new cars but he said if we had an old truck, he could fix that. So my companion and I push it to the side of the road. As I am talking to them I remember the feeling I had to contact them and I thought, " Okay, God. You win." So I told them about the Book of Mormon and asked if we could stop by sometime this week and teach them. They said that they have a church and that they are happy, but they would like a copy of the Book of Mormon, so I gave it to them. Then I had a thought that hey, maybe the car will work now and so I hopped into the car and turned it on, put it in drive, and it worked! So I'm not sure why we had to contact those people but I guess we had to. 

 So after that we had a couple of lessons which were solid lessons. As we were driving home, I thought to visit this one person who we stopped by yesterday and she wasn't home. We knock and this guy answers and I'm like, "Hi sir, is Kelsey home?" And he's like, "No, she's not." in the most sarcastic tone ever. (Now judging from the sass coming from this guy, I could tell this would be interesting). I held my control and asked him what church he went to. He snapped back that it was no business of mine. By this point it had been a long day and I wasn't happy with him and I let him know it. He said that y'all have been over six times and I immediately said that actually we have been over three times and proceeded to tell him the exact times and Kelsey and her mom said to come back. He was lost for words and then he was like, "What church are you?" I said in the most commanding voice I've ever spoken, " I'm from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints." He asked where it was located and I told him, Turtle Creek. He randomly acted somewhat sane and he said he's not really interested but he might stop by sometime if he ever gets interested. I went up and shook his hand and asked his name. He gave it to me but he wouldn't give me his church but he would give me his name, okay. We wished each other a great life and we walked away. 

After that it was pretty dark so we went to this Black apartment complex. It is actually pretty cool cause we go there so much. People just know you. They call me "sand dune" over there. We talked to some people and then went home.

After church we went and visited the members in the rest homes. We found out that one of the ladies had a husband who got really sick and was taken to the hospital. She can't go see him cause she is in the rest home. We grabbed our i pads and told her that we can take a video of her telling her husband things. So then we go to the hospital and talk to her husband. We show him the video and he starts to cry. When we left, he kept saying thank you. I appreciate you so much! 

After that we biked to a members home where they invited all the missionaries for a pre game feast. We all walk in and they had a giant plate of smoked brisket, a giant plate of smoked ribs. They had jalapenos filled with cream cheese and wrapped in bacon, buffalo wings, and pigs in a blanket. There were all kinds of  chips and dips, one of which was this pizza dip, and it was one of the best dips I have ever had. They had cheese potatoes, and then to top it off, she made two Mardi Gras king cakes. (which is the best cake on earth). So we ate like champs and then the member took us outside and we played basketball with his kids and other stuff. It was great. We biked back and occasionally we would knock on a person's door and ask the score of the game and then contact them. A great door opener.
Love,

Elder Saunders


meat and cheese filled Kolaches



Mardi Gras King Cakes



fruit filled Kolaches

No comments:

Post a Comment